I required a wideband and wideband logging cable for e-toons so I could properly monitor the air fuel ratio and properly toon the vehicles.
Very few people would actually purchase a toon after learning about the wideband requirement. So I was spending lots of time answering emails and questions, but not selling any toons. People would send me 20 emails with questions about their setups, then tell me they were getting a toon through other tooner's who offer $150 toons and don't require a wideband. So it was just wasting a bunch of my time.
I 100% guarantee they will tell you to log AF Correction 1, AF Learning 1 and AF Sensor 1 Ratio. This should immediately throw a red flag about not needing a wideband. "Wait a minute. You think AFR data is important enough to log and analyze during idle and cruising when the car is not under any kind of load.....but at the same time think it's ok not to look at it during the most dangerous situations (high boost, high rpm, high load)?
PLAY DUMB, TRY THESE THINGS & ASK THESE QUESTIONS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY REALLY THINK ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF FUEL DATA.
1) Keep "forgetting" to select the fuel logging parameters.
- Keep sending logs without AF Correction 1, AF Learning 1 and AF Sensor 1 Ratio and see if any phrases like these appear:
- "Please select the fueling data, I can't tune the car properly without it"
- "I will not send another revision until I get a log with fueling data"
2) Inquire about how cars are dyno tooned.
- Do you use a wideband on the dyno? (The answer is obviously going to be yes)
- Which sets up the follow up question, why?
- If you portray to customers that e-tooning without a wideband delivers the same drivability, power, safety and reliability....then why use one on the dyno?
3) Inquire about their personal vehicles?
- Do you have widebands in your personal vehicles? (This question may not work since most cars have widebands from the factory that can be monitored for tuning)
- So a better question is: "Do you ever tune your personal vehicles without AFR data?"
I still can't believe tooner's will toon cars without a wideband. ESPECIALLY EJ's with larger intakes, larger injectors, FMIC's, e85, built engines, cams, etc. It's absolutely insane to me. A stg1 car is one thing, but doing flex fuel cars without monitoring the AFR....my brain can't fathom it.
Fueling, ignition timing and boost are the 3 most important parameters. If you're tooning a car (especially remotely when u have no drivability, sight, sound or smell input) without being able to monitor one of those 3, you're being reckless with someone's $45k investment.